Jason and the Patchwork Afghan — Part 2
Not knots! Let’s Join In
It turned out I was naive to expect to have one unbroken skein per module, as almost every skein contained a knot of joined yarn. Not to mention that one skein was badly tangled just past a knot. So rather than a one-skein-shape utopia (shape-topia?), I had to join in new yarn while knitting most of the modules. For my joins, I started out by knitting the start of a row using the new yarn, and later weaving in the tail. For these tails that needed finishing, I wove them in at the end of each shape to avoid having them all at the end of project. This was also a good opportunity if I had a tail near a 4-way joining of shapes, to neaten up the joined area if needed, by weaving the tail to neaten things up.
Later in the project, I used the method of using the new and old yarns to knit two or three stitches in mid-row, and weaving in tails, but this added slight bulk so I didn’t stick with that. Later, I decided to weave ends in as I knit, which was faster than my painstaking needle weaving. (I like to weave the tails in a duplicate stitch over different rows and directions.)
Pick it Up
For my PKs (pick up and knit stitches), I started out by counting stitches along the pickup edge from end to beginning, to identify exactly where to start my PK to ensure the expected number of stitches. This is because I found there is leeway on which stitches to pick up at corners, which means it’s easy to be off by one. That doesn’t sound like much, but I’m a precise kind of guy, and I like my knitted edges to line up perfectly if possible.
Ms. Bellamy says be sure to get the edge stitches so the knitting will hold it’s shape, and that if you PK one stitch extra, then decrease one when knitting the next row. This makes sense because I’ve found that picking up corners can add a stitch, although I prefer the idea of PKing the exact number without a corresponding need to decrease. After the first couple of afghan squares, I stopped counting before PKing, as the stitches seemed more evident except for the last shape. I also wanted to save that little bit of time. (On a later project, I picked up an extra stitch to cover both corners and then decreased, and it seemed okay to me.)
To be continued…