Navigation Menu+

Lambs and Butterflies: Part 5

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 by in Flat Design | 0 comments

So I’ve been staring at the grass portion of Lambs and Butterflies for a few months, wondering how in the world I am going to knit it. I saw potentially around 50 ends to weave in and I desperately did not want to do that, especially in such a small area. So I did an experiment. I carried floats along the sides of all the green triangles and wanted to try hiding them in the pickup connections when I did the contrasting color.

Then when I went back with the black and picked up a couple of stitch in between the base of two of green triangles. Then knitting a black triangle as usual, connecting it to the green triangle on the left side and picking up another stitch of the green triangle on the right side. When I did the pickup on the right side, I also added in the green float.

When I got to the top of the black triangle, binding off across the top, I had to carry a black float down to the pickup point. So now there were tow floats there: the green float and the black float, and I just hud both of them in the pickup/connection when I picked up the stitches on the right side of the black triangle.

IT WORKS! For all these dozens of triangles, I was able to do all the green without breaking the yarn, and all the black without breaking the yarn, and only 4 ends to weave it!

May 30, 2016

So I’m on the homeward stretch! I am working on the brown border now. I tried a stretchy bind off and I like it very much. It gives a subtle corded edge.

June 13, 2016

I am on the homeward stretch of the Lambs and Butterflies blanket. I am about one third of the way through the brown border on the last side. Then I just need to do the corners and weave in the ends.

I asked a couple people, and they suggested brown for the corners instead of black (as was in my original colorway). I was worried that I would run out of brown, so I ordered another ball, just to be sure. Madelinetosh colors sometimes get discontinued and I didn’t want to take the risk of this yarn not being available again!

I can’t wait to start on the next project. I loved working on this blanket, but these long rows of straight garter stitch (with no increases or decreases) seem to just go on forever.

When I am done, I will take a picture of this on the light hardwood floors, so the border really stands out.

I screwed up with the placement of one of the butterflies in the lower right, so then I had to modify the placement of a couple of the other butterflies also in the lower right. And the original chart called for one butterfly to be pointed downward, but that mixes in bias ridges with the usual horizontal and vertical ridges, and in my experience, the math doesn’t work out quite right and the butterfly ends of looking distorted. So I opted to keep all the butterflies pointing diagonally (which makes the ridges horizontal and vertical). I also think next time I would use fewer colors for the butterflies. But that’s okay. Now I know where I can get very small amounts of Madelinetosh Light. 🙂

June 16, 2016

Today I will be binding off the last border rectangle (brown). Then I just need to do the corners, which will also be in brown.

I’m also in the process of calculating how much yarn was used in each color. Each butterfly takes 1 gram, and each sample ball has 5 grams, so I’ve got plenty left of those. Theoretically, I could have done all the butterflies with just three sample balls. I think if I were to knit it again, I would probably reduce the number of colors in the utter flies. It’s a little busy.

But u also discovered that the green grass could have been j it with a sample ball, but I bought a mini skein (unicorn tail). And the. I discovered that both the lamb bodies could have been knit with either two sample balls or a mini skein (I’m not sure if JBW offer Farmhouse White in a mini skein). And the lamb legs could have been done with a sample ball.

So now I’ve got almost complete skeins left of several colors. Whoops!

I need to go back into my project and edit the yarn used so that it pulls gem my stash and calculates the remainder left for me. I didn’t do that when I assigned all the 20 different colors. That’ll take awhile…

Anyhow, I’ll post a pic of Lambs and Butterflies as soon as it is done, which may be tonight!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *